I need to make a refund to a credit card, but the credit card that made the original payment has since expired/been canceled. Is the refund still possible?
Refunds can only be refunded to the credit card that made the original txn. If that card is no longer active, and alternative manual refund will need to be made via EFT or another method.
After refunding, to keep a record in Salesforce, you can create refund Payment Txn, but skip the part where it goes through the banking system.
- Click the refund button on the payment txn as per the regular refund process.
- Make sure the Approves check box is not ticked.
- Enter "1" into the "Payment Status" Field. This is required for the banked formula fields to reflect the correct amounts.
- ONLY If the Payment Source is "PayPal" (i.e. you have already refunded in PayPal Directly), then set the "Payment Response Code" to "PAYMENT.SALE.COMPLETED"
- The newly created refund txn, the status will be "Refund Start". Change the status to Receipting Complete if you do not want to send an email notification. If you do want to send a email notification change to Receipting Start. This will then complete to the Matching process. Note that this txn is a record only, the funds will not be physically refunded through the process.
- Clearly document how the alternative refund was processed.